Do These And Results Can Be Seen In A Matter Of Days
Since you’ve been in the SEO game a bit, let me recap the top 5 mistakes that I see on a daily basis: (And by now if you’re still making them, you need to fix your process!)
1. Your website URL should generally be related to/contain your keywords. The domain name keywords are a very important ranking signal for Google, so take advantage of it if you can. *Note that this ranking factor has been made less powerful over the past couple of years, specifically for EMDs (exact match domains where only exact keywords are in the domain name).
2. Your page title (<title> for the HTML geeks) should be naturally descriptive and contain the right keywords. Most SEOs place this near the top in terms of ranking power. It’s also important to ensure the title is catchy because this tag is what Google often shows in the search results. This means make it click-worthy!
And the fact is all of your copy needs to be buttoned up. You need a lot of keywords that are worked in naturally without keyword stuffing.
The buzzword you need to know is Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) and you can play with it here http://lsigraph.com.
You also need to geek out a while with the structure of the underlying HTML:
3. Too much (incorrect) link building. As you know, back in the day we could build 10,000 forum profile links with exact match anchor text and rank in a few days. Unfortunately many SEOs have not changed their game to keep up with Google changes. Now 80% of your links should be brand/URL links, 10% KW links, and the other 10% long tail/nonsense KWs. Also, if you’re just starting out, build less than 50 links a day.
4. Not enough link diversity. You need to get all sorts of links – not just comments, or profiles, or blog posts. A typical site will get links from all over the place and with all different anchors. You need to follow that strategy too (especially true after the Penguin and Panda updates).
5. Track your results. Simple in concept, but most people don’t do it. Tracking what links you build and what the ultimate ranking results are is critical in conquering the SERPs repeatedly. (I like using Rank Tracker 😉
Get on top of these items and you’ll notice a dramatic increase in your results in a matter of weeks.